Under the situation of an uncontrollable misuse of OxyContin, the patient usually tends to spend most of his/her time in acquiring and using the opioid analgesic. Patients suffering from OxyContin addiction tries to obtain more than one prescription from multiple doctors or may attempt to obtain the drug through illegal means. In case you observe unexpected changes in behavioural of your loved one to the point where you no longer identify the person in front of you, an expected reason for this can drug abuse. The indications of OxyContin addiction may vary but they all narrow down to the similar situation. An individual may find it impossible to quite the use of this drug no matter how hard he/she tries. Misuse of OxyContin is not related to relieve the pain. OxyContin addiction or abuse is only related to the loss of control. There are a number of multiple signs of abuse mainly related to the prescription of this drug. Some of the physical symptoms are related to the misuse of other kinds of drugs and there is no exclusive list of symptoms of OxyContin addiction. Any person suffering from OxyContin addiction may experience all, a few or none of the following symptoms:
- Fatigue or Lethargy
- Extreme drowsiness
- Problems with concentration or memory
- Dry mouth
- Trouble in breathing
- Appearance of being disoriented or confused
- Pupils that are distended
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Sweaty hands
- Garbled speech
- Severe itching
- Sleep apnea
- Lack of interest in activities that an individual enjoys previously
- Persistent interpersonal complications
- Ignoring important work, education, or domestic responsibilities
- Intermittent, episodic euphoria and boredom
Along with above mentioned physical symptoms, you may also observe following signs of suspicious behaviour in a person addicted to OxyContin:
- Doctor shopping, which means that the addicted individual attempts to go to different doctors to get the prescription for their drugs.
- They spend an unreasonable amount of time stressing about running out of the drugs.
- They will go through their supplies much more frequently as compared to normal routine
- They may experience conflicts in their relationships with their friends and family.
- They may attempt to buy drugs through illegal means.
In case any of the above-mentioned signs and symptoms appear familiar with the situation of your loved one, it means that he/she may be addicted to OxyContin. In case they start suffering from symptoms similar to flu while they do not have access to the drug, it means that they may be withdrawing from it. This is the time where they will be required to build up tolerance to it. One needs to remember that the most evident indication of addiction is the persistent uncontrollable desire to consume this drug even when a person is aware that this may cause serious harm to his/her health, psychological condition, personal relationships and further aspects of life.